Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Library and Archives

I know it has been a tad too long that I have blogged. In fact, I never really showed any dedication at all to this. However, I have been working two jobs, one of which is with Library and Archives Canada. This job has inspired me to write again. Moreover, it has inpired me to write about what I think is important: Canadian culture and heritage. With the anticipation of the federal budget it is difficult to know which scope heritage in Canada will take. I am nervous that it will not be very prominant in Harper's objectives for this country. ( That is a whole other can of worms, or rather snakes).

In short, I am interested in how other citizens feel about Canada's culture and heritage. Do you value our heritage? Do you think it is important to the nation's development?

1 comment:

Brandon said...

I too am worried about will happen to Heritage Canada when this new budget is released. The Conservative Government it has felt to me, seems to treat Heritage and Culture as a burden and waste of money. However it is quite opposite. Our heritage and culture do matter, and the work that we do at LAC is bringing that knowledge to everyone through the internet. No more do people have to travel to the Capital for the information, they can just look for it online. I personally love learning about military history and I've learned so much about Canada in World War 1. Learned things about the bravery, sacrifice, the horror everything. And when I learn these things it touches you on a personal level and it reconnects you with the past in an instant. You feel sadness, joy, pride all in one moment. To me that is powerful and worth keeping around forever.